Thursday 7 June 2012

Feeling Arty

As promised, this is my work in progress. Based on a scene from Spirited Away - I just love the soot sprites!* Using water colour to colour in, and will finish off with pen later. This is layer 2 - still many more to go.


If by some strange chance you haven't seen Spirited Away, then I highly recommend it - it has a fantastic story, magical characters and a really quirky sense of humour. I only hope my little soots will come close to the original. Painting with water colours is something I've not done for years and I'm remembering why I loved it and hated it - at times you feel like you have no control, and the water just does what it wants to do. A bit like writing characters actually...

*The soots are intelligent - and very cute - little workers who throw the coal into a fire always burning in the bath house. They work non-stop to keep the fire going. These guys need a union. They originally look like this:

Soot sprites with their little star treats. I don't know if they
eat them or not but they definitely love star treats.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

    I wish I made the time to get back to my drawing.

    Ahhh...I have to do it!

    Thanks for the inspiration...push

    RMW

    ReplyDelete
  2. *In pushy voice* "Do it, do it, do it!"

    Think I started it up again after seeing some truly AMAZING anime drawings on deviantart. Check out http://myrollingstar.tumblr.com/ - she posts on deviantart too, but this is her personal blog and has some incredible artwork (I am very jealous of her abilities - but in a nice way).

    ReplyDelete